Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Inkspirations 33 - Nature and Nuture

Hi all, this week Makeesha Byl (welcome back Keesh :) posted a great sketch for her weekly challenge, so great in fact that I couldn't help myself and made two cards!! There is something about sketches with circles or ovals that really appeals to me. Having said that my favourite of my two cards this week - doesn't have either ;) Here's the sketch. My first card was inspired by one that Nicole Heady posted back in June for the USA father's day. I love the effect she got and couldn't resist having a go. Here's what I came up with. I started with a square Chocolate Chip base and layered that with some PTI paper. For the image panel I started with some Rustic Ivory cardstock, stamped fine text over it in Old Olive and then over that stamped my tree in Versamark. I then clear embossed the tree, then got a sponge and started sponging Old Olive over the embossed tree till I got the depth of colour I wanted. Almost at the same time the sponge would also remove the ink from the embossed image so the tree started to pop out. To remove any excess ink I just went over carefully with a clean tissue. The tree panel was then cut with a Spellbinder Large Label, and mounted on some Choc Chip cardstock. The finished tree panel was laid over three strip of twill that I SNAILed down to the DSP, then frayed the ends and then stitched zig zag over. I really love the earthy atmospheric feel of this one. It even got an approving hmm from my DH! OK now for a change of pace here is card two. I'm back to girl's birthday cards again for this one. Here it is. I started by rifling through my DSP collection for a pattern that was suitably girly and would be good for paper piecing. Having settled on this DSP, I got out my stamp, stamped her on Whisper White and also onto the DSP. Then I proceeded to trim out her bow, dress and shoes from the DSP. I used the two way glue pen to stick the DSP onto the stamped image base. Then I got my aquapainter and coloured the rest of her in. Once all that was done I could add the crystal effects to her bow, collar and shoes. I also stamped the cake onto Pink Pirouette and DSP, cut out alternating DSP layers, adhered those, then added crystal effects icing and candle flame - blinged up with a sprinkle of dazzling diamonds. The central image was cut out with an oval die, sponged around the edges with Pink Pirouette, and then layered onto a scalloped oval mat of Riding Hood Red. Rather than three horizontal bands, as per the sketch I have ended up going with two and a half. The top and bottom are strips of DSP laid over scalloped Riding Hood Red. The half ;) is a bow of RHR taffeta from which two little sentiment tags hang. As a final detail I also pierced all the scallops. The large Pink Pirouette mat below was wheeled with the Happy Birthday wheel in Pink Pirouette so it adds just a subtle pattern and message at the same time. I even managed to get it all mostly straight! That was laid over a white mat and then finally the RHR base. I can't deny this wasn't fiddly but every now and again I like to play around with something that is fiddly and I think the fiddling paid off. Thanks for visiting and working your way through the saqa. Don't forget to drop by this Friday when my next Just Add Ink DT card will be posted. Kim Nature Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted Stamps: Through the Trees (PaperTrey Inc), Background Basics Text Style (PaperTrey Inc) Cardstock: Chocolate Chip, Rustic Ivory Ink: Old Olive, Versamark Accessories: Turning a New Leaf DSP (PTI), Spellbinders Large Labels, Clear embossing powder, Sponge, Twill Tape, sewing machine, SNAIL adhesive, double sided tape, Dimensionals Nuture Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted Stamps: Anna Mae(Our Craft Lounge), Happy Birthday, Teeny Tiny Sentiments, Tiny Tags Cardstock: Riding Hood Red, Pink Pirouette, Whisper White Ink: Pink Pirouette, Riding Hood Red, Chocolate Chip, Blush Blossom Accessories: Bella Rose DSP, Medium Jewelery Tag, Scallop Border punch, Mat pack and piercing tool, Riding Hood Red taffeta ribbon, Oval and Scalloped Oval Nestabilities (Spellbinder), Crystal effects, Dazzling Diamonds, Silver cord, SNAIL, Double sided tape, Two way glue pen, Dimensionals

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!