Friday, October 29, 2010

JAI 41 - just add birthday



Hello there,

this week Just Add Ink has a fun challenge up - its just add birthday! Now having a Miss 5 birthdays are a topic of considerable interest in our house. My offering this week was inspired by a birthday party I recently took my Miss 5 too. Her friends mother did a wonderful job of putting on a princess themed party and as the girls arrived they made their own tiara decorating them with adhesive rhinestones. So thats what I decided to make - a flower tiara. Here it is.


I started by giving my Miss 5 a choice of two colour selections. A) Yoyo Yellow, Pixie Pink and Orchid Opulence or B) Apricot Appeal, Almost Amethyst, Regal Rose - not surprisingly she went with A (I would have picked B). Then I cut out the base from Yoyo Yellow using the template from here. Next I made lots and lots of rolled roses a fabulous idea from Tania Gould one of my wonderful JAI teammates. You can find Tania's tutorial to make the roses here. I made the roses in three different sizes - using 3", 2" and 1.5" squares. Every time I made one it never ceased to amaze me that you can make something that looks like a rose from a piece of cardstock - love it. Its quite theraputic too :) So I rolled my roses squished them a bit to get the right shape and then using a glue gun put a dab on the bottom of each to stop them unrolling. Once that was done I sponged around the edges of the petals with the matching ink - and I did add some Pixie pink to the Yellow roses as well. Then I arranged the flowers on to the tiara and once I was happy with the placement Miss 5 added a dab of glue on the bottom and I put each rose in place. The finishing touch was to add all the rhinestones - one for each rose and some special big ones for the points of the tiara. I reinforced the band that connects the tiara together and then fixed it onto the front.

Miss 5 loves her tiara and insisted on putting on her Snow White dress to model it when I was taking the photographs. I got to admit - despite the bright colour scheme I rather like it myself as well :)

So why don't you have some fun this week and join in the challenge and then link your creation back to Just Add Ink.

Thanks for visiting,
Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted
Stamps: None! - I know how often does that happen ;)
Cardstock: Yoyo Yellow, Pixie Pink, Orchid Opulence
Ink: Yoyo Yellow, Pixie Pink, Orchid Opulence
Accessories: Rhinestones, Pink and Purple Rhinestones (Kaiser), Glue gun (non SU)

5 comments:

  1. Having two (very boyish) boys, I had a great giggle over this; what a fabulous project for a little princess! What girl wouldn't like one of these?? Great way to use your retired cardstock too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such a fantastic tiara and so crative! I bet Miss 5 ADORES it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning Kim. You did such a fabulous job on this tiara :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Kim this must have taken you 'forever' - a lot of love went into this for Miss 5!!! What a great idea but watch out that all her friends won't want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw she's so precious. I would've loved one of these when I was a little girl! You're a good mum rolling all those roses!!! Hard work paid off I say!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!