Friday, November 18, 2016

JAI #337 Just choose two



Hello there,
well we have a fun new challenge for you at Just Add Ink this week. For this new type of challenge we'll give you three options and you Just need to Choose Two and use those two in your project. 

So what can you choose this week? Well I set the challenge this week and your three options are dollies, die cuts and designer (patterned) paper.




Patterned paper is not my natural go to. So my starting point was dollies and die cuts. I wanted to use Merry Mice again (still loving these) and I was trying to think of different way to use dollies. When the combination of the singing mouse and the idea of using dollies as curtains popped into my head. A lot of this card was strongly influenced by a wonderful crafter Kelly Latevola. Kelly has posted two videos recently, one where she created a stage scene sketching her curtains in by hand with copics and another that is all about a spotlight. Do go watch these you'll learn so much about light and copic colouring!

Here's how I combined all that information to come up with my mouse doing a stage concert. (Please forgive the light quality I took the photos early in the morning and have tried to adjust for that but its not perfect).





So first up my dollies. I smooched them into my Real Red ink pad, then heat set them. The lacy edges were just not right for the swags, so I just cut the lacy edging off and that was perfect. I did use just a little of the lacy bits at the bottom. (Just a note as dollies are so delicate I did reinforce them with punched circles of red card stock underneath). As the finishing touch to the swags I used my copic markers to add detail, that worked great and was really effective. So where are my die cuts - there are two obvious and two not so obvious. The banner and stitched edging around the inside of the window frame are the obvious ones. Not so obvious, well I used a large circle one as the mask for the spotlight and a die cut of the Sunburst thinlet as a mask for my spotlight rays. The finishing touches were some dazzling diamonds to the mouse hat and fine tip glue pen to add gloss to the book.

Well that was a very wordy post today! It may have taken a while but I did have fun putting this card together. I hope you'll join us for this new challenge at Just Add Ink. Don't forget to check out the awesome projects from the rest of the DT too.

Thanks for visiting,
Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted
Stamps: Merry Mice, Stitched with Cheer
Cardstock: Real Red, Kraft, Whisper White
Ink: Real Red, Marina Mist, Daffodil Delight, Tuxedo Black (Memento), Versamark
Accessories: Sunburst thinlet, Stitched shapes framelits, Copic markers, Stitched rectangles (Simon Says Stamp), White embossing powder, Metallic Sequins, Fine tip glue pen, Dazzling Diamonds, Dimensionals

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Kim - you've done it again with your fabulous colouring. Love, love, love this card!!! Kelly x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, WOW, WOW! Your card is amazingly amazing! I don't know how you will be able to give it to someone at Christmas - but hopefully it will be to someone who can appreciate the artistry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kim, that card is so awesome! I'm really impressed with all of the détails you've added to it.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally stunning Kim! The spotlight and sunburst effects are amazing and so bring this adorable scene to life. I love everything about it from your smooched "swags" to the crisp, red banner and all that is in between :-)xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. SIGH! As always Kim, you've blown me away with the details! So many fabulous effects. And more super cute mouse inspo! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is fabulous, Kim. All the details....just gorgeous. Love the 'not so obvious' use of die cuts and your bright colour palette. A work of art that's for sure. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just the cutest card, Kim! What a great challenge idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW what a gorgeous card. I love the background and I wish I was on your Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!