Friday, July 8, 2011

JAI 75 - Just add a colour combo



Hi there,

well first up thanks for all the lovely comments on the blog hop last week :) I hope you all enjoyed it and had the chance to play along. This week at
Just Add Ink we have a rather nice colour combo for you. Here it is.
I finally got my hands on Extreme Elements not all that long ago and I was itching to ink it up - so I got a bit grungy with this one - and had fun I have to say (mind you its hard to go wrong with this set!). So one grungy birthday card coming up ;)


As my starting point I picked a sketch (Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge #116 ). Once I knew my layout I started with a Cherry Cobler base, then added a Soft Suede mat. Now on the Vanilla layer the fun stuff starts - getting inky! So first up I used Sanded in Soft Suede, stamped off once. Then added a couple of stamped off Suede blots and more Suede again (dotty pattern). Next was the Cherry stars. I tried to create a sort of stream effect out of the guitar. A couple of other Cherry extreme accents and that was it for the stamping. To finsh off this layer I added some strips of DSP, then for that extra effect added some crazy stitching with my sewing machine to keep with the grungy theme. Got to admit I like how that all turned out! The main image was made by stamping the guitar guy, in Cherry on Vanilla, then trimming him out. I mounted him up on dimensionals, on more DSP, with spiral border detail. Lastly I added a sentiment flag, with a Cherry brad to accent it. As usual I carried the theme through to the inside - more wonky (bit too wonky in one place) stitching but I liked the outcome regardless.

This is a really nice colour combo and really versatile - you can see that from the DT samples (go look if you haven't!!) so feel like getting inky?? Have fun :)

Thanks for visiting,
Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted
Stamps: Extreme Elements, Extreme Guitar, A Little Birthday Cheer (R)
Cardstock: Cherry Cobler, Soft Suede, Very Vanilla, Basic Black
Ink: Soft Suede, Cherry Cobler
Accessories: Love Letter DSP, Holly Jolly DSP, sewing machine, Cherry Cobler (Regal) brad, Spiral border punch, Dimensionals, Double sided tape (X Press)



11 comments:

  1. Another great card for the boys Kim! I intend totally CASEing this one - such a fab Birthday card. I love Extreme Elements and just don't use it enough! Thanks for the inspiration ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool card! So grungy. Have a great weekend! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great 'grungy' card Kim. I love the wonky stitching and how you have made the stars come out of the guitar, clever idea! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great guys card Kim.
    I love grunge music and grunge cards too it seems.
    You've used the colour combo really well.
    I have this set too (well actually it's my daughter's) and I haven't managed to come up with anything good yet. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Love the grungy look on this card! Such a FUN and manly card! Just fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab card Kim! Perfect for a 'difficult-to-make' teenage boy card!

    Cheers,
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the grunge look of this card - great for teenagers and big kids alike!! Must get mine all inky again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the grungy rockerness of this card. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a different look from you Kim! Love it though. The perfect teen card. I haven't even inked up my Extreme Elements set yet so your card goes into my CASE file for when I finally do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very cool guy card Kim, l love all the layers and the stitching and love that the overall look is light and bright, not to much black, if you get my drift!
    Thanks for the inspiration to get mine out and play!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the guitar player :-)
    And thanks so much for your nice comment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!