Friday, July 22, 2011

JAI 77 - just add a sketch


Hello all,
welcome to  another Just Add Ink challenge. This week we have an interesting sketch for you. A good sketch I might add but it might take some thinking ;) Want to see? Ok here you go.

And here is what I did with it.
The inside

Hmm now that I compare my card to the sketch well it looks like I took a bit more lee way with it than I intended - thats what you get for working from memory instead of actually looking at the sketch! This might be my first official Christmas card for the blog this year - but then Christmas has been on my mind for the last couple of months as for the first time I am running Christmas card classes this year!! So I have been busy prepping designs for that and this card arose from that. One motivation being to create a green and purple Christmas card. So I translated the zig zag element going up the card into the Plum swirls from which I could hang my ornaments. I arranged my ornaments to represent the three staggered blocks of the sketch (well I thought I had - see what I mean about not looking at the sketch when I was putting it together). I actually knotted some silver cord and threaded it through a hole pierced in the top layer for each ornament, then mounted each ornament up on dimensionals. The Christmas sentiment represents the flower element coming up from the bottom of the sketch. My own personal addition was to add a extra section to the card at the bottom, using some Perfect Plum Pattern Stack DSP and Saffron grosgrain at the division. You can probably tell - but the card is quite a bit longer than the standard A5, 10.5 cm x 21 cm (4 1/8 x 8 1/4") in fact (to fit a business sized envelope). I haven't made a card this size for ages and I must admit it was nice to play around with that size for a change! 

Well thanks for visiting :) If you can give the sketch a try and have some fun this week.

Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted
Stamps: Delightful Decorations, Contempo Christmas, Baroque Motifs
Cardstock: Wild Wasabi, Perfect Plum, Elegant Eggplant, Whisper White
Ink: Wild Wasabi, Perfect Plum
Accessories: Ornament punch, Modern label punch, Subtles Pattern DSP stack, So Saffron wide grosgrain ribbon (R), Silver cord (R), Purple rhinestones (Kaiser), Double sided tape (X Press), Dimensionals

7 comments:

  1. Very nice indeed! Love the set/s you chose! Love the colours you chose! And I love how you used them! LOVE IT KIM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, your christmas card is absolutely stunning!I love EVERYTHING about it and I'm not even that big a fan of the ornament punch and sets :0 You have convinced me now that it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE what you did with the sketch and a Christmas card - wow, you are getting organised!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVED this when I first saw it Kim. Excellent take on the sketch, love the colour combo and am so going to have to CASE you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool Christmas card - I too plan on using green/purple for mine! Such a sweet colour combination. Good luck with your classes! Theresa x http://tbarsstars.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is so pretty. I am glad you mentioned the silver thread you added...I zoomed in! SUCH DETAIL in this card, wonderful! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really loved what you did with this card Kim, all of the elements came together beautifully! And a great colour for Christmas cards.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!