Friday, August 5, 2011

JAI 79 - just add distressing, ripping, tearing


Hello there,

well I am seriously tuckered out tonight as I write this so I will try and keep it short and sweet this week - always a challenge for me ;). However we do have a very fun challenge for you this week at Just Add Ink - we want you to just add distressing, ripping, tearing.

The first thing I thought of was an awesome convention Wow presentation by one of my lovely convention roomies the talented Sharnee Torrents. She showed us how to make a torn paper frame. You can find a tutorial by Sharnee here. I matched up my frame with lots of grunge! Here's the result.

The inside
I started by stamping my top Mustard layer, and then taking a deep breath and scrunching it all up!!! Then I rubbed the ink pad over the creases to accentuate them. I adhered a partial Not Quite Navy panel under Mustard layer and then cut a hole in roughly the right place. Then I carefully tore the double layers of frame back to create the right sized frame for my guitar guy (stamped in Cajun Craze). All of that is matted onto a distressed Cajun Craze layer then the Not Quite Navy base. I finished it by adding very distressed sentiment. The inside was finished off to match.

Once I got over the heart attack inducing step of scrunching up stuff I had just carefully stamped I was really pleased with how this turned out. I will be trying do more distressing and torn paper frames in the future I think!! Thanks for visiting and if you can why don't you have a go.

Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted
Stamps: Extreme Elements, Extreme Guitar, A Little Birthday Cheer (R)
Cardstock: Not Quite Navy, Cajun Craze, More Mustard, Very Vanilla
Ink: Not Quite Navy, Cajun Craze, More Mustard
Accessories: Small star punch (R), Pewter Jumbo Eyelets, Pewter brad, Distressing tool, Double sided tape (X Press)

8 comments:

  1. You were taking serious notes at Convention, weren't you?!! You have done a terrific job of the torn frame technique that Sharnee showed. The frame showcases your image beautifully ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a bit of a panic attack when I saw this week's challenge but your fab torn & distressed card - perfect for any grungy teen - has inspired me to give it a go. Hope you have a happy weekend. D :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally nailed the 'grunge' theme you've got going on Kim. I'm seriously thinking I'll have to CASE this one for my soon to be Master 11!

    Can just imagine you holding your breath before scrunching, I'd do exactly the same lol.

    Great card my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Kim, you went to town with this challenge! LOL. What a great card!! Looks like you had a lot of fun making it (once you got over having to scrunch up the paper). You really rocked this challenge (pardon the pun).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that rockin' card! ;) Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many great ideas on this card Kim, you have done an amazing job on the whole "Grunge" look, it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This card really sums up the challenge! Love, love, love your torn paper frame and the total grunge look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love looking at your grunge cards Kim. They're always great! Love the frame effect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!