Friday, August 26, 2011

JAI 82 - just add something you've had in your stash for ages and not used

Hello there :)
we have a great challenge for you this week at Just Add Ink - it's time to dig through the back of your cupboard and bring something unused and unloved out into the light :) Yes this week the challenge is to use something from your stash thats been there a while and not used (now none of us do that do we!! cough cough). For me it was the prod excuse I needed to make a shadow box picture I had promised to make for my lovely Miss 6 nearly a year ago (when I made a picture for my Mr 2 as he was at the time. This is what I made for him).  So what did I pull out from my stash - well first up the shadow box frame (shiny gold of course - very important according to Miss 6) now thats been there for nearly a year. But my real reclaimation item was some paper flowers. I had a pack in a bright pink - which turned out to be perfect match to Melon Mambo and a pack of undyed ones. How long have they been in the stash? - so long I can't remember !! So I tried my hand at colouring paper flowers for the first time - it was so easy! Hah how long did it take me to work that out!! Ok on to the end result. I will post a warning though - expect princesses and castles and flowers and glitter (smile).
And a close up of some of the details.

I wanted to use the layers in the shadow box as well as graduated colours to create a sense of depth. After looking at the distant hills as I drove to work for several mornings in a row it seemed to me that often things get lighter in the distance. So for my trees the foliage of my front tree is Old Olive, then Wild Wasabi and the furthest away is Certainly Celery. Likewise with my two grass borders, the front one is Garden Green and then next one in Old Olive and the hill behind is some Kiwi Kiss I dug out from my retired stash. I used copics to colour in the princess, pony and castle. The castle was my first go at colouring on Crumb Cake which worked OK, but you certainly can't blend on it like you can on X-Press cardstock. I paper pieced all the windows and turrets so I could get brighter colours on those. I just had to add some stitching and had the idea of using the stitching to accentuate the rays from the sun I was really pleased with how that turned out. Funnily enough I had intended to use the other side of the backing DSP (it has a cloud pattern on it) but on packing it up (otherwise known as chucking everything back in the frame one day I had the gingham side turned up and both Miss 6 and I looked at it and went - hmmm like that! So the gingham stayed. Finishing touches include bling of course!!! rhinestones and dazzling diamonds, flowers and flower path for the pony, and a sentiment.

I had fun making this and am really pleased I have managed to fulfill my promise to my beautiful Miss 6. When she smiles the whole world is filled with sunshine and this did bring a smile to her face (and mine).

Thanks for visiting and don't forget to check out the other fabulous DT offerings!

Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted
Stamps: Pony Party, Through the trees (PaperTrey Inc), Magical Castle (Hero Arts)
Cardstock: Whisper White, Crumb Cake, Daffodil Delight, Bashful Blue, Old Olive, Garden Green, Kiwi Kiss (R), X Press blending card 
Ink: Certainly Celery, Wild Wasabi, Old Olive, Melon Mambo, Regal Rose, Bashful Blue, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Lots of Tags sizzlet, 1 3/4" circle punch, Grass border punch (Martha Stewart), Copics, Punch Pack, Sweet Slumber DSP (R), Cloud dies (PaperTrey Inc), Paper flowers pink and plain (??), Jewels - rhinestones, Brayer, Dazzling Diamonds, Two way glue pen, Dimensionals

11 comments:

  1. Oh, Kim, I can't begin to tell you how much I like this. In fact, I LOVE it! I have two girls and Pony Party is a favourite in this house. This is just so perfect. I will pin it, and one day, if I'm feeling adventurous, I might just CASE you. :-)
    Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, this is so beautiful! It brought a smile to my face, too. To know that it was made, and given, with so much love makes it all the more special. Cute, cute, cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim this is so gorgeous. I bet Miss 6 just loves it. I particuarly love the pink & glittery pony

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, this is absolutely splendiferously perfect!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!
    You are so so clever! I bet she will treasure this forever! Go you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are too, too clever Kim! This is wonderful. No wonder Miss 6 loves it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, this was worth the wait for Miss 6 I am sure! You have put so much love and effort into this she is sure to treasure it for a lifetime. Glad our JAI challenge helped you finally get around to putting it together as it is inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What can I say, this is simply gorgeous - even better in real life! I bet Missy loves it!!! So girly and pink and glittery and and and....perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lucky little girl she is to have something so beautiful made just for her! Your a good mum Kim, it must have taken ages, but totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just THE most amazing project Kim! And I bet your dd absolutely adored it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW this is so amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this stunning piece of art. You have inspired me. Cheers Donna Zammit

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!