Friday, May 6, 2016

JAI #310 Just add a sketch


Hello there,
can I tell you how much I am enjoying the gorgeous Autumn weather we are having. I love the crisp air but what I love the most are the bright jewel colours on the trees. Sometimes I am literally spellbound with wonder as I walk around streets in our suburb. I think it's hard to beat that as way to start the day! I used some bright colours for the new challenge we have for you at Just Add Ink this week. This week Tina has given us a great sketch to work with. Here it is. 


I decided to frame mine up on a traditional rectangle card base. I also played with the idea of negative framing the sketch element by tucking the flowers in behind it. Here is how it turned out.

And the inside.


I added doodling to some of my OnStage samples that I posted last week and the thought came to me that I could do the same thing with other stamp sets. So I pulled out Flower Patch stamped up a bunch of flowers and then sat down and outlined them all. I wasn't being precious about it - lines going a bit wobbly was ok! It was just going to add to the character ;)
Having done that I hid half of them! - well about half of each flower as I tucked them in under the central (sketch) element. I have to say I really like the contrast the fine black edging gave to them. I kept the rest of the card pretty CAS just adding a clear embossing background to the base. This was a kind of fun technique to try so you might just see me pull it out again!

Don't forget to check out the rest of the DT for some fabulous sketch inspiration!

Thanks for visiting,
Kim

Recipe: All SU! unless otherwise noted
Stamps: Flower Patch, Birthday Blooms, Diagonal Stripes (My Favorite Things)
Cardstock: Whisper White, Flirty Flamingo
Ink: Real Red, Watermelon Wonder, Calypso Coral, Flirty Flamingo, Blushing Bride (these colours actually look great together!), Tuxedo Black (Memento) 
Accessories: Flower Fair framelits, Stitched Circles die (Simon Says Stamp), Banner die (My Favorite Things), In Color 2016-2018 DSP, 0.3 m Memento marker, Clear embossing powder, Sparkling Clear sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), Fine Tip Glue pen, Tear and tape, Dimensionals

2 comments:

  1. Stunning Kim! Those flowers just pop right out at you. The liner work is definitely a whole new level...Crisp and clean perfection! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is so pretty Kim! The outlining really adds such definition to your flowers and I love the balance of colour among them as they peek out from behind your beautiful circle too. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!